Spotted :: The Common Crow Butterfly....

Yes, I'm talking about the pretty beautiful butterflies that fly around your garden :) I love butterfly and so I had planted a lot of plants around my tiny garden. And thus, obviously, when i see those creepy crawling caterpillers happily nibbling away my beautiful plants, I catch hold of them, crush them or throw them. 
Once I attended a small session on butterflies. The speaker told us that many of the caterpillars we crush are actually butterfly larvae :(
And so now, when i see a catepillar nibbling away my cherished plants, i check if they are my butterfly larvae.
Recently i spotted this brownish orangish caterpillar which had white stripes horizontally across its body. It also had approx. 6 tentacles. This is the caterpillar of the common crow butterfly. This is called as common crow butterfly as it is commonly available like a crow!



It normally nibbles on leave's center(first) and thus cuts of the latex supply. Then once, the leave's disconnected from the main latex supply of the plant, it slowly chews on the leaf


A peculiar defense it has picked up over evolution i guess. Moreover a bit of latex that goes in is stored as fat in its body. This gives a bad taste to the predetors like birds etc. Thus they ignore this caterpillar!
Its cocoon is shiny and metallic in color which is normally placed at the underside of a leaf.


 Once out.... it flies away like a common crow!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment