Spotted :: Birds in my Backyard Part II :)

Yellow-billed Babbler Bird(English) / Kariyila Pakshi (malayam - translates to "Dried Leave Birds" coz of the brown color)


Though God has given good camouflaging techniques to these birds (with the color of dried  leaves), they make sure that they make their presence felt with constant chirruping. Sometimes I have to shoo them away!
Always in a group of >7 members, these birds are also referred as seven sisters!!! Very noisy and chatty, these birds constantly hop around. I accidentally discovered a nest on my Mango tree. Their nests are normally at 4 feet height. Though this spot is very cleverly hidden from all views, I discovered it as I was watering my Mango :) A cute and curious nestling was gaping at me ;)


How to attract it??
Water is always an answer. 

Apart from that, they love bread, so i just crush bread and put it on my backside wall. 

They don't like the maggots except when it is the mating season. and they don't eat too much of rice or wheat either. Through many testing and trials, i discovered that they love crushed groundnut. All the groundnut crush disappears within minutes.... and now, I've included groundnut as a part of my monthly grocery :) i just crush them roughly and wither it on my wall.

Its cute the way it holds the peanut in its hands / legs claws and nibbles on it:)

Also,if you have a tree which provides thick foliage  they'll surely make their nest...with water and food so close by :)

Over a period of time, these birds will become friendly with you. They will not fly away even if you're close...though this might take everyday feeding for at least 4-5 months but its worth :)

No comments:

Post a Comment